|for Analysis and Conversation
Conversation Topics on social changes:
- What aspects of the film can
you relate to? (e.g. parent-children relationships, junior high school days,
video game parlor, entrance exams, puppy love, country vs. city, flood,
radio, fantasies and dreams.)
- Do you view and experience the
entrance similarly or differently?
- Where did you frequent as a
teenager? What were your hobbies and do you have a dream lover or idol?
- What do you feel about this
film after the kidnapping case of 白曉燕 happened?
Components of a narrative film
- Are there evil characters in this film? How are the kidnappers
presented (including A-ching 阿慶's family members)? How about the policemen?
Is A-chiang's friend likely to be a rapist?
- How does the teacher push her students to study hard? How about
- How do the teenage characters express their dreams and maintain
their self-esteem, if they don't get it confirmed in the exams, by their
parents or teachers? Pay close attention to A-chiang's dream and his friend's
- How are the two major settings, Taipei and Dong-she (東石), set in contrast
to each other? What does A-ching come to Taipei for?
Plot and Pattern:
- When do we start to hear music in this film?
- The film basically develops chronologically away from Taipei and then
back to it, starting and ending with a radio program. There are some
repetitions or sets of contrasts which are worth discussing﹒What are
recurrent motifs: fantasies
and dreams; childish games; news broadcast and faddism
Major themes: entrance exam,
teenage rebellion and personal dreams; country vs. city
- What are the functions in this film of A-chiang's story of 沙羅曼天王,
who works with 金鯊天王 to rescue the mermaid? And his story of a fish which
will fly after he eats up 999 dreams of children? His telling 道南 that
half of him is electronic?
- 阿慶 takes the kids to the beach twice. And there they had some interesting
performances of playing to be fish and making sand-dung. What do you
think these episodes mean?
- How do the TV news anchoress change through the film? And the images
shown on TV of the law-makers, the people welcoming A-chiang, and those
pursuing a star--what do they tell us about our society?
- How is A-juan 阿娟 a victim in this film? What are the limitations set
on her and her brothers?
- Why doesn't the film tell us whether A-chiang passes the exam or not?
What points does the film try to make? To keep on having dreams?
Tropical Fish 熱帶魚（1995）
導演：陳玉勳 (1962)-- also 愛情來了
得獎紀錄： * 第32屆金馬獎「最佳原著劇本獎」（陳玉勳）、「最佳女配角獎」（文 英） * 第48屆瑞士盧卡諾影展「藍豹獎」、「費比西獎」