Re: After Death


Poster¡G Maggy Zheng at 17:57:20 3/2/98 from c445-33.svdcc.fju.edu.tw
RE Norman Jou at 2:29:2 3/2/98 posted ¡uAfter Death¡vSubject

>> After death
>> After reading this poem, I feel that there
>> was a kind of love inside the speaker and the
>> man's mind who was in the poem.However, they did not
>> seem to tell each other the feeling in their minds.
>> All we can see that this poem described a funeral.
>> The situation was serious,serene and a little bit
>> sorrowful atmosphere filled the air. I think the
>> speaker was a soul. He could see everybody but
>> no one can see or touch him. He saw that everyone
>> is in a rush to prepare for the funeral. After a moment,
>> a man attracted the speaker's notice. The man leaned
>> above the dead body; he seemed to tell the dead body something.
>> I guess the man was the speaker's father. He had many words
>> in his heart that he never said. Now it is useless to say anymore
>> because his child was dead. He just said "poor child, poor child"
>> than he turned away and came a deep silence.
>> When I read here, the sentences touch my heart very much.
>> The sentence "Came the deep silence" described very well.
>> The speaker did not tell us how sorrowful the man was;
>> he wanted us to imagine that. We can feel the father
>> love his child very much though he did not touch the shroud,
>> or raise the fold that hid the dead body's face,
>> or take the hand in his or ruffle the smooth pillows for
>> the dead body's head. I think the father was very sad.
>> To touch the child just deepens the sorrow of the father.
>> The speaker considered that his father did not love him
>> when he was alive but at last the speaker knew his father still loves him.
>> I think that the speaker's father did not know how to speak
>> or show how deep was his love. It is similar to "Those Winter Sundays".
>> In "Those Winter Sundays" the father got up early on Sundays
>> and put his clothes on in the blueblack cold. He wanted to make
>> the rooms warm and did not awake the children.
>> What a thoughtful father he is! However, the children
>> spoke indifferently to him. Maybe the children always
>> thought their father is a serious man and often yelled at
>> them but they never thought that how their father
>> cared about them. At last the speaker realized the truth
>> and his foolish thoughts. The child in " Those Winter Sundays "
>> is similar to the child in " After Death." In " After Death "
>> at the last sentence, " the father is warm, he always
>> does everything for his child but the speaker is cold.
>> It means that the speaker was dead and also means that
>> he was always indifferent to his father.
>> Although the speaker knew that his father loves him,
>> it was useless because he was dead. I think that we
>> have to show filial obedience for our parents while we can do it.
>> If we lose the chance, we will feel regret. According to this poem,
>> I believe that the people who treat us best are our parents.
>>
>> Dear Norman,
It is great to read your journal (especially when I don't have clear idea for the poem ), your journal has given me a new idea about the relationship between the speaker and the man. In my view, it is quite fresh for me to see them as a father and a child. Perhaps the reason is that most of our poems talk about love between man and woman. Besides, you say that the father doesn't want to have a touch on the dead body because it deepens his sorrow. This is what I never think about.
Thank you for inspiring me soooooooo much !!


Response:



Reply the post:

Your Name ¡G
E-Mail Add¡G
SUBJECT ¡G
Your opinion ¡G

[Local Preview]