Argumentation and Informal
- Flexible Tuition (Universities can raise tuition
by themselves.) (ref. 1,
- It is a good idea to get a college degree from
mainland China. (ref. 1,
government should acknowledge the degree awarded by mainland Chinese universities.
- Cohabitation for college students
- Corporeal punishment in middle education.
- Examination exerts pernicious influence on
education. (See details.
)¡VJoint Entrance Exam should be abolished. Quizzes in class, and the
finals should be reduced.
- Can we improve our English when
- We should introduce to elementary
schools English native speakers as teachers.
- English education in elementary
school should be extended to grade 1.
- (Dead Poet Society) Is
it alright for Mr. Keating to encourage Neil to insist on his interest when
it is strictly forbidden by his parents?
(More specific: The English department's curriculum should be changed to include
more pragmatic courses.
Broader: The mail goals of college education: career preparation or holistic
or single-sex schools (schools for girls' and boys' separately ) for middle
education. (See details. )
- College students should do the cleaning works
- Hiring English native speakers
from abroad as teachers in Taiwan’s elementary schools is not the best
way to provide an English learning environment.
chool Authority Should not use fine to punish students for their delays (e.g.
in paying the credit fee or the Language Practical Training Fees).
schools ought to have daily PE class.
English Education Should be de-emphasized.
- International/National Issues
-- Free trade (e.g. WTO, or The Free Trade Area
of the Asia Pacific, or FTAAP) vs. Protectionism as it is related to a local
industry (e.g. film industry) (ref. 1,
Taiwanese film as
an example )
-- Compulsory Military Service Should be Abolished
in Taiwan (See details.
(too controversial but not impossible)
- Cloning of animals; cloning of human beings¡Xwhether
it should be regulated by government
- Abortion: Three days' deliberation (ref. 1,
parental consent (1)
- Neutering of the rapists.
- Stray dogs should be killed.
- Legalization of sex-related work; of prostitution;
of video arcades.
- Flaggelation should be instituted as a penalty
for serious crimes in Taiwan.
- Serial rapists or killers should have the right
to enter college if they pass the entrance exams.
Gender and Sexuality
Maternity leave for employees of
all industries? Big industries as well as small companies? (ref. 1,
should not be the only ones to be responsible for taking care of children.
- Children should be stopped from
seeing any pornographic sites or emails.
should be allowed to marry and raise children.
- Gays and Lesbians should come out and assert
Women are inevitably controlled by body/beauty myth in our society.
age limit for sexual activities?
- Making a link to pornographic
or "deviant" sexual sexual acts for research purposes (does not)
deserve obscenity charnge. (For the issue of bestiality photos, see details
- Legalizing prostition can not
only help release some men's sexual desires which cannot be satisfied elsewhere,
but also help protect sex workers against possible crimes against them, exploitation
of themsexually transmitable diseases.
- Women should have the right to use their body
in sex-related work to earn money (be specific: e.g. prostitution; nude photo
- Supporters of technology say that it solves
problems and makes life better.
Opponents argue that technology creates new problems
that may threaten or
the quality of life. Using one or two examples, discuss these two
Which view of technology do you support? Why?
- Cloning of animals; cloning of human beings--
whether it should be regulated by government
below the third grade (age 9) should not use computers in their formal education.
computer games can train more than our reflex response; it improves our
organizational, reasoning and social skills
friendship cannot be formed among people meeting only in chat rooms.
- Television is doing irreparable harm to
- Did the news media help or intervene in
the arrest of the three kidnappers? (The role of news media in the Bai
Hsiao-yen kidnapping case.)
- T.V. news should avoid showing blooding
scenes such as that of the corpses.
- Advertisers performs a useful service (of
offering new information) to the community.
- The ongoing Taiwan Pi-li fire phenomenon
is a mere matter for fun for college students.
The ongoing Taiwan Pi-li fire phenomenonshould
be stopped by us individually.
Informal Persuasion Topics
All of the above, and¡X
- We should all grow fat and happy. It's silly
to go on diet and be slim and unhealthy.
- Playing video games is a waste of time.
- Nursing home is a good place to stay when
we are old.
- Every achievement involves a degree of stress.
- Technostress is inevitable. (See our
Moral, Emotional and Family Issues
- It's ok to take materials from the web and
put them in our papers.
- Don't ever tell your present lover about your
- Lies are not always harmful.
- In important decision-making (e.g. future
direction, marriage), we should not listen to our parents.
- Parents always know better.
- We should keep whatever secrets our best friend
ask us to keep.
- --- will be a good mayor. --- (e.g. President
Chen) should step down from his position (or be recalled).
- Cohabitation before marriage is practical.
- Hypothetical/Touchy Situation Persuasion
- Persuade your roommate (not) to give up a
boyfriend who steals and takes drug,
- Persuade your teacher to let you pass so that
you will not have F's (failure) from 1/2 of the courses and be kicked out
- Persuade your roommate (not) to have an abortion.
- One month before the College Joint Entrance
Exam, you find that the student you tutor will not have any chance of passing
the exam. Persuade him/her to keep on working hard or consider other
possibilities or both.
- Selling an idea or a commodity
to class an idea or a thing to 'sell'/promote to your classmate. To 'buy' your
idea/thing, your partner needs to pay money or spend a lot of time.